Melksham will be one of a further eight libraries that will soon be opening in Wiltshire, providing a new order and collect service to local residents.
From 14 September, libraries in Amesbury, Bradford on Avon, Calne and Marlborough will open, followed on 21 September by Royal Wootton Bassett, Westbury and Melksham. On 28 September Malmesbury will open.
People won’t be able to drop-in and browse at these libraries but an order and collect service has been set-up providing access to books. People can also book to use the computers for up to 45 minutes. It is hoped that people will be able to browse at these libraries in due course.
Local councillor Jon Hubbard commented, "I'm really delighted to see this next important step of reopening services and bringing access to public facilities back online. Importantly, we are seeing a sensible and risk-aware approach to reintroducing access to the library service and I am pleased to see Melksham's library will be reopening it's doors later this month."
In the meantime, here’s what people can expect from the order and collect service:
- People are asked to let the council know what kind of books they enjoy. This can be done by completing an online form or by phoning the respective library during their opening times.
- The council will need to know the person’s library card number and phone number.
- Twelve books will then be selected on the person’s behalf or 20 for a family – audiobooks can also be selected if the person has an audiobook subscription or membership exemption.
- When the books are available, the council’s library team will contact the person to arrange for them to collect them from the library entrance at a date and time that’s convenient for them.
- When the person arrives, a library team member will ask for the person’s name and to see their library card, and then pass on the books.
If anyone wishes to reserve a specific book and collect it from one of the order and collect libraries, they can use the council’s normal reservation service. Books can be reserved via the online catalogue for 95p. Books are loaned for three weeks and will need to be renewed, if people wish to keep them longer. They can be returned through the library letter box at any time. Returned books will be stored for 72 hours before being put back on the shelves and will still remain on the person’s account until that time.
To book a computer session, people should phone the respective library.
For more details, including the online form, people should visit https://www.wiltshire.gov.uk/libraries-order-collect